David Evan Harris Founder and Executive Director
David Evan Harris is Founder and Executive Director of the Global Lives Project and Research Director at the Institute for the Future. David works at the intersection of art, activism and academic inquiry on the politically charged questions surrounding globalization and social justice.
A cross-disciplinary mediamaker, David wrote and directed newscasts for CurrentTV; and penned articles and shot photos for the BBC, the Guardian, Adbusters, Focus on the Global South, AlterNet, and Grist. He has spoken publicly about his work to audiences at the Smithsonian, UC Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, United Nations University, Apple, Google, Adobe, and numerous other venues around the world. He speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish, and French. David founded the Global Lives Project in 2004 and holds a BA in the political economy of development and environment, with a minor in forest science, from UC Berkeley and an MS in sociology from the University of São Paulo.
Rev. Shishin "Benjamin" Meyers Webmaster
Ben has worked as a web developer (his site is www.purespiritwebworks.com) professionally since 2005. As an Art Studio major with a dynamic range of other interests he has a passion for technology, journalism, art, psychology and sociology. He is a Zen Priest with a San Francisco Bay Area Soto Zen Buddhist sangha and helps increase visibility to institutions promoting empathy and change.
Kristy Drutman Assistant Lecturer/ Teaching Team
Kristy Drutman is an assistant lecturer and supervisor for the Global Lives Project. She is also a digital media strategist and host of her own podcast and media series, Brown Girl Green. A passionate environmental activist and storyteller, Kristy is working to use digital tools to advocate for climate justice, healing, and community empowerment.
Minji Kim Lead Project Manager
Minji Kim is a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in Society & Environment and Business Administration. As the Lead Project Manager, she helps all of the different teams run smoothly and accomplish their goals of furthering the post-production process. Through her work, Minji hopes to contribute to the Global Lives Project’s mission of fostering global empathy!
Interns & Volunteers
Cleo Chaplin Video Team - Project Manager (intern)
Cleo Chaplin is a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in English and minoring in Data Science. As the Video Project Manager, she leads the video team in editing post-production footage for social media platforms and fundraising campaigns. Cleo joined Global Lives Project to further develop her interest in documentary filmmaking, and to contribute to a platform that helps people tell their own stories all across the globe.
Maddy Cooper Video Team (intern)
Maddy Cooper is a freshman at UC Berkeley with an intended double major in media studies and integrated biology. She works on the video team as an editor for social media content. Her love of traveling and working with people, as well as being creative and producing content made the Global Lives Project the perfect opportunity for her. On her free time she enjoys being outside and adventuring with her friends.
William Webster Video Team (intern)
William Webster is a freshman at UC Berkeley that is interested in studying film. He joined the Global Lives Project because of the mission to tell tell stories in purest form resonated with his aspiration to work in the documentary field. As a member of the video team, William assists in cutting moments from the Global Lives Project archives to be used for social media and promotional videos. He hopes to able to contribute whatever he can in order to assist Global Lives Project in sharing stories and creating unlikely connections across the world.
Ansley Stotelmyre Video Team (intern)
Ansley Stotelmyre is sophomore at UC Berkeley majoring in Sociology with a minor in Public Policy. Ansley joined the Global Lives Project because she really admires their mission of fostering global empathy through a media context. Driven by her individual desire to spread compassion, she is eager to work with and learn from a team with the same ambitions. As a member of the video team, Ansley really enjoys watching the everyday lives of people from all around the world through the editing process. Through her editing work, she hopes to destabilize viewers personal biases and rather, open their eyes towards a more compassionate and open minded perspective.
Austin Hoang Fundraising - Project Manager (intern)
Austin Hoang is a sophomore at UC Berkeley majoring in Political Economy. As the Fundraising Project Manager, he manages our email marketing efforts and makes tentative plans for our holiday fundraising campaign. Austin first joined Global Lives Project in February 2020 as a Content Strategist and later worked as the Social Media Project Manager because he wanted to learn more about other cultures and experiences working for a nonprofit organization. Through his work now, Austin hopes to continue learning and improving our organization’s digital presence.
Cristina Navarro Data & Advertising - Project Manager (intern)
Cristina Navarro is a senior at UC Berkeley majoring in Psychology. She is currently the Project Manager for the Data and Ads team responsible for managing all Global Lives Project’s advertisements. She joined Global Lives Project because she wants to be apart of spreading awareness of different cultures and empathy across the world. She believes when it comes to accepting differences, it helps when ones becomes educated about the topic. On her free time she loves to read and paint, and hike.
Natalie Huang Data and Advertising / Fundraising (intern)
Natalie Huang graduated from UC Berkeley majoring in Economics and minoring in Data Science last semester. She is currently part of the Data & Ads team as a volunteer, helping create Google Ads and conduct analyses with Google Analytics. Impressed by the goal of Global Lives Project – fostering cross-cultural empathy, she is excited to contribute to reducing the prejudice and cultivating love, understanding, and respect toward human diversity.
Nicole Lee Social Media Team - Project Manager (intern)
Nicole is a sophomore at UC Berkeley majoring in Media Studies and minoring in Political Economics. As her second semester being apart of the Global Lives Project, she enjoys creating content for the organization. Outside of school she enjoys snowboarding, running, and hanging out with her friends.
Helena Batey Social Media Team (intern)
Helena Batey is a sophomore at UC Berkeley majoring in Political Economy. This is her first year with Global Lives Project and she has enjoyed contributing to such a meaningful project with global reach and exposure. Her favorite part of being on the Social Media Team is choosing clips from an on screen participant’s 24 hour film. She hopes anyone who views the clips, resonates with people across the world as they walk in their shoes for the day and experience their feelings to cultivate cross-cultural empathy.
- Yael Irom Associate Director, Global Lives Project
- Simone Goldsmith Video Production Coordinator
- Lyndsay Lack Development Manager Intern
- Kaitlyn White Graphic Designer
- Jason Catiis Graphic Designer
- Rani Zhu Web Project Manager
- Cristina Navarro Web Development Team
- Kimberly Wang Web Development Team
- Dipika Gurung Translation Team Manager
- Nana Yoshimura Translation
- Lainy Cho Translation
- Emma Sun Translation
- Stephanie Tungerapan Translation
- Kat Friday Social Media Project Manager USA
- Austin Hoang Social Media Team - Content Strategist
- Phikhanh Nguyen Social Media Team - Content Strategist
- Tiffany Huang Social Media Team
- Andrea Chau Social Media - Video Editor
- Megan Pope NYFF
- Scott Oller Video Producer USA
- Erika Barco Development Manager Intern USA
- Marian Berthoud Development Manager Intern USA
- Ayesha Johannes New Media Producer USA
- Jakob Lengacher Translation Community Manager USA
- Nindia Anadirini New Media Producer USA
- Mario Hiesh Web Developer USA
- Rachel Griffin Development Manager USA
- Danny Spitzberg Campaign Director USA
- Caitlin Rose Program Assistant USA
- Lauren Valdez Program Manager USA
- Meghan Mooney Program Manager USA
- Fangshu Zhu Translation Community Manager USA
- Beth Cohon New Media Producer USA
- Nancy Lappetito Development Manager USA
- Diana La Education Programs Coordinator USA
- Snow Xue Zhou Translation Community Manager USA
- Rejoy Armamento Graphic Design Intern USA
- Daniel Chein Video Producer/Editor USA
- Charlotte Gibbs Translation Coordinator University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Elena Gozzi Translation Coordinator Università degli Studi, Milan, Italy
- Jueun Hwang New Media Producer South Korea
- Jordan Katz New Media Producer USA
- Viviani Oliveira Translation Coordinator Brasil
- Anna Pankina Translation Coordinator Voronezh, Russia
- Purvi Rami Development Manager USA
- Saphassorn June Santijitrungruang New Media Producer Thailand
- Sarah Smith Graphic Designer Loyola University Chicago, USA
- Ethelind Vu Graphic Designer USA
- Joanna Zhong Education Coordinator China
- Sarah Soulen Development Intern USA
- Mary Mijares Project Manager - Book Manuscript Intern USA
- Mami Shimokawa Curriculum and Translation Intern USA
- Kailin Zhou Translation Intern USA
- Kevin Lasek Translation Intern USA
- Daisy Mendez Project Manager - Translation Intern USA
- Taylor Hines Web Development Intern USA
- Mackenzie Cornwall Project Manager - Web Development Intern USA
- Jessie McConville Social Media Intern USA
- Brieanna Martin Social Media Intern USA
- Lauren Kim Project Manager - Social Media Intern USA
- Janie Chen Project Manager - Social Media Intern USA
- Jessica Shi General Project Manager (intern) USA
- Luoyao Huang Social Media Team - Video Editor USA
- Jihee Choo Data and Ads - Project Manager USA
- Asa Ackerly Social Media and Translation Team USA
- Natanya Faitelson Video Team / Social Media Team USA
- Anna Gasparyan Data and Ads Team - Project Manager USA
- Cristina Navarro Data and Ads Team / Fundraising Campaign Team USA
- Jennifer Hua Data and Ads Team USA
- Jihee Choo Data and Ads Team / Fundraising Campaign Team USA
- Suha Imran Data and Ads Team USA
- Austin Hoang Social Media Team - Project Manager USA
- Nicole Lee Social Media Team USA
- Tiffany Huang Social Media Team / Fundraising Campaign Team USA
- Ella Suh Translation Team USA