David Evan Harris, Founder and Executive Director David Evan Harris is Founder and Executive Director of the Global Lives Project and Research Director at the Institute for the Future. David works at the intersection of art, activism and academic inquiry on the politically charged questions surrounding globalization and social justice.
A cross-disciplinary mediamaker, David wrote and directed newscasts for CurrentTV; and penned articles and shot photos for the BBC, the Guardian, Adbusters, Focus on the Global South, AlterNet, and Grist. He has spoken publicly about his work to audiences at the Smithsonian, UC Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, United Nations University, Apple, Google, Adobe, and numerous other venues around the world. He speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish, and French. David founded the Global Lives Project in 2004 and holds a BA in the political economy of development and environment, with a minor in forest science, from UC Berkeley and an MS in sociology from the University of São Paulo.
Yael Irom, Associate Director, Global Lives Project
Yael leads the Global Lives Project’s education program. She brings over 15 years of experience in working for innovation and equity in education. She co-founded the Manhattan Hunter Science High School, with a grant from the Gates Foundation, and more recently was a lead teacher creating and piloting new curriculum at Lighthouse Community Charter School in Oakland. In addition, Yael spent two years working and living in countries including Uganda, Cambodia and Israel in order to develop health resource libraries and scalable education programs.
After earning her Masters in Literature and Education at Columbia University, Yael won a Fulbright scholarship in 2008 to study the education systems in India and Sri Lanka, which has informed her work here in the United States as she continues to consult with fast growing, results-driven schools, companies and nonprofit organizations.
Simone Goldsmith, Video Production Coordinator Born in Sydney, Simone’s passion for journalism has led her all over the world. She has worked as an Associate Producer for Channel 9 News in Australia and in editorial at Hong Kong-based luxury lifestyle publication Asia Spa Magazine. While studying Communications at Temple University’s campuses in Japan and America, she produced documentaries on slums in Indonesia, garment factories in Bangladesh and landfill sites in India. Simone produced Global Lives’ Kazakhstan shoot and coordinated the post-production of the Lebanon and Japan chapters. She is currently coordinating the production of the Lives In Transit series.
INTERNS & VOLUNTEERS
Lyndsay Lack, Development Manager Intern
Lyndsay received her B.A. in Communication Studies with a concentration in Rhetoric and Civic Engagement and a minor in Asian Studies from Colorado State University in 2013. She is currently pursuing her Masters in Media, Film, and Journalism Studies with a concentration in Video Production at the University of Denver.
Kaitlyn White, Graphic Designer
Kaitlyn is currently working towards her Bachelor of Science in Visual Communication Design at San Francisco State University.
Jason Catiis, Graphic Designer
Jason is currently in his last semester at San Francisco State University studying Visual Communication Design.
Megan Pope, NYFF Intern
Megan Pope is a third year student at Brown University where she is double concentrating in English Nonfiction and Modern Culture & Media Studies. Her previous work includes digital strategy, marketing, and graphic design for Conclave Concepts; in addition, she is a video blogger for various Brown University publications, a contributing writer for Skorts sketch comedy, a member of Brown Varsity Swimming and Diving, and a Meiklejohn peer advisor for first-year students. A member of Brown a capella and a theater enthusiast, Megan is passionate about how all storytelling– writing, film, art, and music– can foster empathy, bridge socio-cultural gaps, and create change.
- Scott Oller, Video Producer, USA
- Erika Barco, Development Manager Intern, USA
- Marian Berthoud, Development Manager Intern, USA
- Ayesha Johannes, New Media Producer, USA
- Jakob Lengacher, Translation Community Manager, USA
- Nindia Anadirini, New Media Producer, USA
- Mario Hiesh, Web Developer, USA
- Rachel Griffin, Development Manager, USA
- Lucy Curran, Development Manager, USA
- Danny Spitzberg, Campaign Director, USA
- Caitlin Rose, Program Assistant, USA
- Lauren Valdez, Program Manager, USA
- Meghan Mooney, Program Manager, USA
- Fangshu Zhu, Translation Community Manager, USA
- Beth Cohon, New Media Producer, USA
- Nancy Lappetito, Development Manager, USA
- Diana La, Education Programs Coordinator, USA
- Snow Xue Zhou, Translation Community Manager, USA
- Rejoy Armamento, Graphic Design Intern, USA
- Daniel Chein, Video Producer/Editor, USA
- Charlotte Gibbs, Translation Coordinator, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
- Elena Gozzi, Translation Coordinator, Università degli Studi, Milan, Italy
- Jueun Hwang, New Media Producer, South Korea
- Jordan Katz, New Media Producer, USA
- Viviani Oliveira, Translation Coordinator, Brasil
- Anna Pankina, Translation Coordinator, Voronezh, Russia
- Purvi Rami, Development Manager, USA
- Saphassorn June Santijitrungruang, New Media Producer, Thailand
- Sarah Smith, Graphic Designer, Loyola University Chicago, USA
- Ethelind Vu, Graphic Designer, USA
- Joanna Zhong, Education Coordinator, China
- Sarah Soulen, Development Intern, USA